Day 4 - Kansas City, Missouri to Garden City, Kansas

I was warned by many people about this day: the drive across Kansas. In fact I once read a study that concluded that Kansas is actually flatter than a pancake, to scale. Yes, really: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2003/07/25/kansas030725.html

The eastern half of the state still had trees and hills, but the western part of the state was exactly as advertised. Having never seen it before, it was pretty interesting to see the horizon of the earth completely surrounding me, but it wore off pretty quickly. Somewhere after
Dodge City I ran into my first bit of trouble on the trip, a Gray County cop. He got me going 76 in a 65, and gave me a ticket. When asked why I was speeding, I wanted to tell him “I’m trying to get the hell out of Kansas as fast as possible!"

Soon after I pulled into Garden City, pretty much the only sign of civilization in southwest
Kansas. A larger place than I was planning on staying on this trip, but there were absolutely no other towns anywhere nearby. Not a bad place though, went into a bar and drank all night with some construction workers from Topeka who were in town doing a contract.



Wind farm in Western Kansas














Only hills I saw for miles




























If only this was true...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers